The mission of SEON is to create an interrelated network of local businesses, educational institutions, and public sector participants dedicated to providing educational resources to improve the economic sustainability of the SE Vermont Region.
In pursuit of this mission, SEON seeks to:
- Create systems of education on renewable energy / energy efficiency for incumbent and entry level energy practitioners, complementary professionals as well as students and the general public.
- Promote the development of renewable energy / energy efficiency technologies, products, services, and processes by representing the assets of our region to entrepreneurs and companies interested in relocating to this region, identifying market niches, and assisting the formation of partnerships.
Our vision is for Southeastern Vermont and neighboring regions to become one of the foremost centers of sustainable energy and resiliency in rural America.
SEON is a different model for economic development. Either through ‘Open Forums’, webpage blogs, forums, working groups, or e-newsletters, all constituents of the local economy can come together to network, form partnerships, ask questions, share information, discuss difficult issues, and collaborate with all sectors to enrich our local economy. We recognize the interdependence and inter-relatedness of all members of our economy, and connect those once isolated and independent entities to a bigger regional picture that calls us to create a world worthy of inheriting.
SEON is not a project management organization that directs resources to a particular issue. We are a facilitative organization that supports the development and commercialization of renewable energy and energy efficiency by linking people, information, and resources.
We provide 4 distinct services:
- Provide Productive Networking Opportunities: SEON will hold bi-monthly meetings, an open forum wherein sustainable energy news is shared. By bringing together people from all backgrounds, these meetings provide an excellent opportunity to learn about what is happening in the lower Connecticut Valley region. SEON will offer access to practical support as well as technical advice from renowned experts. It will direct inquiries on business development to appropriate agencies, and act as an informational resource for consumers.
- Maintain an Information Database on Sustainable Energy: SEON will maintain an impressive list of contacts and activities on sustainable energy. As a First-Call resource, we will respond to questions by providing responses from experts, or by linking people to those with shared interests, research, or market needs. The SEON information network will continue to expand – collecting and monitoring news, events, research, incentives and support programs. SEON distributes timely information to members keeping them “in the loop.”
- Support Education and Employment: Closely linked with institutions of higher learning, technical centers, and businesses, SEON will work to bring programming to schools and continuing education to businesses. SEON will work to provide students, adults, and educators with an expanding resource base for continued development of their interests in sustainable energy technology.
- Promote Sustainable Energy by Serving Our Members and Community: SEON will work with town energy committees, regional planning commissions, and other advocacy groups to develop innovative approaches to assist consumers become more informed on issues of sustainable energy and the financing of projects. In addition, many consumers are overwhelmed with competing demands for their attention and pocket book, and wind up stalled on sustainable energy improvements. Developing a strategy for consumer decision-making will be of considerable value to all.
Future Training (See Events Calendar)